1. Description of the service
Solsaic operates an online solar platform (the “Application”) that helps homeowners discover if solar power is right for their home by gathering information from homeowners and generating a personalized solar analysis which estimates the benefits they can obtain if they were to go solar. The Application also connects homeowners with solar service providers, such as installers, (“Installers” and each, an “Installer”) in their area.
2. How we obtain personal data
The Service collects and processes personal data, which is information about you or that identifies you, as well as anonymous data, which does not identify you.
We obtain your personal data directly from you or from your account with the Service. If you have any questions or concerns about our disclosure of personal data please contact us at your earliest convenience using the contact information found below.
Subject to legal, contractual and technical requirements, you may choose not to provide Solsaic with certain data or request the deletion of certain data, which may impact the Service features available to you or essential operation of the Service.
3. Personal data we collect
At Solsaic, we understand that your privacy is very important and as such we aim to be fully transparent about the personal data that we collect and process. We collect certain personal and anonymous data when you first sign up with the Service and while you use the Service. Furthermore, data collected from Installers may be used in conjunction with personal data collected from Users, in order to create additional forms of personal data. On occasion, the anonymous data that we collect is linked with personal data making it no longer anonymous. The following is a description of the personal data that we may collect, use and process in connection with the Service:
- Your first and last name, your location, your phone number, your password for the Service, and if you choose to provide it when communicating with us, your email address;
- Details about your home, including but not limited to, the type of roof, the age of your roof, the type of home, the amount of shade your roof typically receives based on the surrounding structures and topography and electrical usage details;
- Details about the use of certain features, such as the length of time inputting data, frequency of logins and time of day for logins;
- Information about your computer, phone, web-connected devices or other devices used to connect with the Service including but not limited to, operating system information, geo-location information, operations performed on the device such as finger movements and unique identifiers that may identify you over time and across different websites including your IP address or other device identifiers.
If you are an Installer, much of the data collected from you is not considered personal data in most jurisdictions, but may still be personal data if connected or linked with other personal data. The types of data collected from Installers which may be connected or linked with personal data includes, but is not limited to: type of services and products provided, region serviced, number of employees, number of qualified solar installation experts, years in business, business phone number and email address, individual representatives of an Installer with Solsaic, types of certifications and warranties provided, affiliations, number of megawatts installed as of the current date, financing options accepted and a description of an Installer’s products and services;
We also collect anonymous data that does not identify you, including but not limited to responses to anonymous feedback requests, metrics and other types of statistical data, which can be derived from use of the Service.
4. Processing of your personal and anonymous data
We process your personal and anonymous data primarily for our business purposes. These uses include but are not limited to:
- Providing the Service to you, including analyzing the data that you provide and giving you the best possible recommendations for solar in your region;
- Providing recommendations, leads and referrals for Installers that use the Service;
- Understanding the needs of our Users and improving the quality of the Service, including providing customer support and feedback, analyzing functionality and technical issues, tracking use of the Service and generating reports and data models that we use to improve the service;
- Supporting the security and integrity of the Service and our Users, including verifying Users, controlling access to the Service, detecting and protecting Solsaic and third-parties against privacy breach, error, fraud, theft, suspicious activity, violations of the TOU and other illegal activity or for contractual, legal, regulatory or audit obligations;
- Contacting you for various reasons including User feedback requests or marketing purposes, if you previously consented to such contact.
We may disclose your personal and anonymous data to our parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees and contractors for the same purposes described above. We may also disclose your personal and anonymous data to third-parties, who may be located in a foreign jurisdiction and subject to foreign laws. The situations where we disclose your personal and anonymous data to third-parties include, but are not limited to:
- Processing your information as described above and providing or enhancing the Service features;
- Providing customer support and feedback, analyzing functionality and technical issues, tracking use of the Service and generating reports and data models that we use to improve the service;
- Responding to requests from law enforcement or a government agency asserting lawful authority to obtain the data or where Solsaic has reasonable grounds to believe the data could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity, to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of data, to comply with court rules regarding the production of records and data, or to our legal counsel;
- Defending Solsaic in a legal, regulatory or administrative proceeding or in a contractual dispute.
5. Third-party services
6. Cookies and tracking technologies
7. Obtaining, rectifying and controlling your personal data
You may contact Solsaic to obtain a copy of any personal data we collect about you, the production of which may be subject to a fee as permitted by applicable law. In addition, you may contact Solsaic to correct inaccurate personal data or to complete incomplete personal data.
You may be able to opt-out of some or all of the ways in which your personal data is processed, or request the deletion of certain personal data, except where the personal data is necessary or vital for:
- The performance of contractual obligations, such as the TOU or certain legal obligations;
- Protecting your interests or those of another person;
- Our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third-party
and may do so by requesting deletion by contacting us using the contact information found below.
8. Data storage and retention
While Solsaic is a Canadian company, the data you provide through the Service may be stored and processed by third parties in countries around the world. You authorize Solsaic and third parties acting on our behalf to process your data in any country of their choosing, which may cause your data, including personal and anonymous data, to be subject to privacy protections and legal rights that may not be equivalent to those in your country.
Your personal data is retained until you request its deletion or until Solsaic no longer requires such data for the purpose for which it was collected.
9. Do not track disclosure
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a web or device setting that allows you to request that receivers of personal data stop their tracking activities. When you choose to turn on the DNT setting in your browser or device or use alternative consumer choice mechanisms, your browser or device sends a special signal to websites, analytics companies, advertising networks, plug-in providers and other web services you encounter to stop tracking your activity. Currently, there are no DNT technology standards and, as a result, we do not respond to DNT requests.
10. California "shine the light" right
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code 1798.83 grants you the right to request our disclosure of the categories of personal information we provided to third parties, and the names and addresses of these third parties, for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make this request, please contact us using the contact information set forth below.
Please note that you may only make this request once per year.
11. Change of ownership or business transition
We are committed to ensuring that your data is secure. To prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, or breach, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to safeguard and secure the data we collect and process.
13. Contact preferences
We communicate with you primarily through the Service itself, but we may sometimes collect the email address of some Users in order to respond to support requests or comments. If you have provided us with your email address and would like to change the email preferences we associate with you (for example, unsubscribing from receiving certain types of email) you may do so by clicking a link within certain types of emails that we send to you or, if no link is available, by replying with “unsubscribe” in the email title or body or by modifying your email settings within the Service. On rare occasions, some types of email are necessary for the Service and cannot be unsubscribed from if you continue to use the Service.
15. Contact us
Privacy Support Team
2680 Matheson Boulevard East, Suite 102, Mississauga, ON, Canada, L4W 0A5